A Smart Blonde's Manifesto

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Who Is This Chick Anyway?

Staring at the blank blog that will become mine makes me wonder... who am I? What makes my perspective on life unique? The first answer that popped into my head is that I'm a contradiction in terms - a smart blonde. Hence the title of this blog. But that's not who I am.

If you met me in school, you probably think I'm a quiet smart girl who reads too much, plays in the band, and will talk about and debate anything. If you met me outside of school, you probably think I'm a perpetually-distracted but approachable girl with a sarcastic sense of humor and a flair for the dramatic. If you were my mother, you'd know a whole host of embarassing stories about me that will hopefully never find their way onto the Internet. :P

I have a very limited perspective on the world, but I'm working on it. That's not to say I'm not open-minded, because I am, possibly to a fault. It's just that I've lived my whole life in a little corner of the world that never provided all that much variety with which to fill my afore-mentioned open mind. Many people who know me think my obsession with my laptop is strange, but I consider it something of a window out of 99% white, conservative, Christian Suburbia, OH to the rest of the world. I can't wait to meet people who've lived completely different lives, and I'm starting to realize that I have interesting stories to offer to them, too.

I've always felt like I didn't really belong here. I don't shop at Abercrombie (in fact, I hate shopping entirely), I don't assume anything based on race and I have both friends and a boyfriend who aren't white (I think they comprise that entire non-white 1%). I prefer musicals to rap/pop/country, I'm working on reading everything ever written, I think it's more audacious to deny rights to gay people than it is to skip church on Sundays, and I don't like people who can't locate Iraq but feel entitled to unyielding opinions on it.

And yes, I know MIT is more expensive than Ohio State, but I'm going there anyway and I can't wait!

I think I've exhausted my introspection for the day. I promise the next post will actually be more than an extended introduction!

5 Comments:

  • At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Dayne Homaee said…

    Heh, yeah this describes part of you... not everything tho.

    It's good for your first blog, then again your an amazing writer.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to say that I like it. However, not everybody can locate Iraq on a map ;)

     
  • At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Mary Schellentrager said…

    I love your blog Karen.
    I've always felt like I didn't belong in Chardon too! Maybe that's why we're both heading to exciting, progressive colleges instead of just OU.
    And you definitly speak the truth about gay marriage and locating Iraq on a map.

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous getalife1234 said…

    ooh u sure ur going to MIT? how come u can write well? =P haha jk

    gl starting a blog! i loved it in the past to rant, sikoanalize (recognize the sp from somewhere?), and simply notice the *slight* trend of maturity over the years. =]

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Rachel from DOE said…

    NICE about the OSU thing! I've gotten that SOOOO many times this summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home