A Smart Blonde's Manifesto

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Long-Awaited Update

Wow, this week has been insane. Insanely fun? Absolutely - but also just plain insane. I did the Discover Ocean Engineering pre-orientation program, where we built an underwater rover, went to the Mystic Seaport in Mystic, CT, tested our vehicles at Cape Cod, went sailing and on a dinner cruise, and most importantly, learned how to change a drill bit and solder. The latter actually made me really appreciate how nearly 50-50 the gender ratio at MIT is, because none of the other girls had used tools before either, so it wasn't awkward or embarassing to have to ask for help.

I've been to several excellent parties and a lot of interesting events - including but not limited to movies, dance parties, jello wrestling, street parties and convocation speeches. I'm actually currently skipping a talk on how not to sexually harass people, because frankly I think I'll fall asleep if it's much like the diversity one was. I haven't encountered or even witnessed any prejudice of any kind since I got here, and I'm being absolutely serious. Everybody seems incredibly respectful and blindingly intelligent. I love it.

I've been getting to bed at roughly 4:00 AM every night and waking up by 8:00 AM (between late-night conversations, official parties and my own pre-existing habits), and yet somehow the pace is so fast and exciting that I'm not even tired. I've even found a few chances to work out in the amazingly gorgeous Z Center. I'm going to take a quick nap now before the party later, but sorry I didn't update sooner - ILTFP!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home